Social media, well, maybe just media in general, paints a picture of what is acceptable and what is controversial. What is normal and what isn’t? If you mention anything that isn’t considered a cultural norm, you get ostracized. You’ve got to be kidding me. I’m all about debating the material and the subject at hand, but when you get rude with me or cynical... things start to piss me off.
I get it. We can’t all be hippies. I couldn’t care less. However, don’t get snippy. Let me go off for a second and explain why I am not as much of a hippy (hippie? MY GOD HOW DO YOU SPELL THAT WORD!) as I would like.
- I don’t have a garden. I strongly dislike insects and I refuse to get involved with killing them.
- I don’t go outside all the time. I have allergies. I am a city girl. Get over it because I have.
- I don’t like the summer. We live in Texas and I’m sorry that I’m not in awe of the sweat my body produces. I like deodorant (the natural kind) and I refuse to smell like a compost bin.
- I am not zen. I find absolute peace in quiet but I find the mediation is really hard to do.... I’d rather be cleaning or sleeping.
- I have considered homeschool but I don’t have patience. I can admit that.
Now, back to what I was saying. It’s okay to have different viewpoints. When did it become a personal attack when someone disagrees with you? I recently unfriended someone who got into an argument about how soy was good for the body................. Listen, when you get all butt-hurt because I explain why it’s not and then you call me an idiot, we are going to stop talking. You are a flea. A pest. You have now become a nuisance and not someone I want to share my life with.
Respect is something you earn. Respect is NOT something that comes naturally. It is a two way road. You look through a million mommy bloggers’ pages and anytime they post something that might raise a little question of how you raise a child, suddenly they become Satan. I cannot say this enough: It’s okay to disagree. When your maturity level drops and you start calling names, you look like the fool.